March 30, 2013

Bun & Cheese


During the Easter season, Jamaicans are known to eat two things in excess: fresh fish and bun and cheese. My favorite of the two, although both are equally delicious, is the bun an cheese. 

The "bun" is a spiced bread laced with fruits (cherries and raisins) and spices (nutmeg and cinnamon). It makes for a really sweet loaf that can be eaten by itself, or paired with butter or cheese. Our custom, however, is to eat it with cheese. Of course there is a traditional cheese that goes with the bun, known as "Jamaican cheese", and to be honest, I have no clue what kind of cheese it is...  and that's completely okay with me. I will say though, that it kind of tastes like cheddar cheese, but I'm pretty sure that it's not.   

Beau and I bought the biggest bun we could find in stores this year! 
I hope we are able to finish it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments/Questions are always welcomed and appreciated.
Thank you for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...