It's been a while since I've written one of these posts. Here is a study everyone can be a part of:
Health of Women (HOW) Study
This is a research study that aims to discover HOW breast cancer starts and HOW to prevent it. Every woman can take part in the study, as well as men living with breast cancer or at high risk for breast cancer.
Research Study Goals:
- The goal of the HOW study is to study a large group of men and women over time to examine the causes of breast cancer. In order to do this, we will need to include all ages, ethnicities, and races, as well as to compare those who have been diagnosed with breast cancer to those who have not. The HOW Study will ask you to answer questions about your health and health habits over time to give us a view of what people are doing and how their health is being affected. In addition, we will be asking specific questions of women and men living with breast cancer to give us ideas about what, beyond treatment, leads to long term survival as well as what the real long term side effects of current treatments are. We will include specific questions for underrepresented groups such as people with metastatic disease, men with breast cancer, transgender individuals, and women from particular ethnic groups. Finally, this study will address the questions you've been asking: is there an environmental cause of breast cancer, are fertility drugs and bio-identical hormones safe, and what about deodorant and underwire bras (source)?
- Participation in the HOW study will require the completion of online questionnaires addressing health and well-being, medical history, reproductive health history, and family health history periodically. You will receive a Call-to-Action email with a questionnaire whenever a new one is available. Questionnaires are only released every few months, or so, and will take between 30 and 60 minutes (or less) to complete. Study results will be shared with you. The study is long-term, but you also have the option of withdrawing from the study.
- The study is conducted by the Dr. Susan Love Research foundation, in partnership with Dr. Leslie Bernstein from the Beckman Research Institute at City of Hope Comprehensive Cancer Center in Duarte, CA.
- Study participants can live anywhere worldwide.
- You are at least 18 years old
- You have access to an internet connection through a computer or mobile device
- You are willing to be part of this study long term
- You are EITHER
- a woman (with or without breast cancer) OR
- a man living with breast cancer or at high risk for breast cancer
If you are interested in being a part of this study, sign up here.
** Note **
This simply means that I volunteer to use my blog as a medium to publish posts that will bring awareness and recruit participants for nationwide Breast Cancer Research studies. Army of Women research studies are in conjunction with the Dr. Susan Love Research Foundation's initiative to:
- Recruit 1 million women and men of every age and ethnicity, including breast cancer survivors and women at high-risk for the disease, to partner with breast cancer researchers and directly participate in the research that will eradicate breast cancer once and for all.
- To challenge the scientific community to expand its current focus to include breast cancer prevention research conducted on healthy women.