October 11, 2010

Found!

-So, while studying for my Immunology of Infectious Diseases exam, I stumbled upon the fine print of one of the professors slides concerning measles. I usually don't read the fine print because it ends up being a BUNCH of words nestled under an image, and it's just too much to handle while studying. Anyhoo, this is what the fine print says (I've highlighted, in red, the part that stood out the most):




Photo Credit: Prof. Lisa Cuchara; Immunology of Infectious Diseases Lecture #1 September 1, 2010

-- Granted, I'm not African, and I'm definitely not blind. But, I couldn't help but wonder if my exotropia occurred as a result of being infected with measles while I was 6 years old and still living in Jamaica. So, as the lovely googler that I am, I googled the terms "measles + strabismus" and was amazed by the results. The two actually coexisted in multiple articles! The information given in the articles that I skimmed thus far all give the same, general information, but it seems as if the consensus is that strabismus may be caused by "infections such as meningitis or measles" along with other reasons, of course.

-- This is of great importance to me because I have strabismus, a disorder of vision due to a deviation from normal orientation of one or both eyes so that both cannot be directed at the same object at the same time (dictionary.com). More specifically, I have exotropia, the outward deviation of the eye muscle and can be read about here. This condition was not diagnosed in me until I was 7 years old and had emigrated to the US. My mother got my sisters and I physical examinations, and they noticed my exotropia and double vision, also known as diplopia, right away. As I've said many times, I don't remember much of my childhood, but I do remember the exact day that I broke out with measles and I also remember being able to see one, intact image, and not two, like I see now. I also have baby pictures which prove that I did not have any form of strabismus while I was living in Jamaica, and under the age of 6 years old (before having measles).




-- My main goal is to do more research on measles and strabismus, using primary articles... When this crazy, busy week is over. The findings will help me personally b/c I've always envied people with "normal" eyes and I've never had a valid explanation as to why or even how I developed exotropia.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments/Questions are always welcomed and appreciated.
Thank you for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...