May 14, 2013

Filling Empty Spaces

SAM_8375-001 SAM_8388-002

The bedrooms: the master is full of furniture gifted to us the day before our wedding. It was such a blessing. The closets are full of clothes and shoes that hardly get worn and a music stash evident of a true audiophile.The walls are bare. 


SAM_8404-001

Our Living Room: with the twin set olive green recliners his parents gave us, the off-white loveseat my mom offered to us, and the pink lamp stand I had in grad-school, and the TV extending around the bend to face us during meal time. There’s nothing else in there.

SAM_8398-001

The dining room: with built-in shelves, a painting of The Last Supper that needs to be hung, our first dining room set, and a door that leads to the back deck. There’s nothing else.

SAM_8412

Our kitchen: tiny and cozy as can be. The space is narrow. The shelves, though few, are all occupied with small electrical appliances. But, the cupboards are packed, the fridge is full, and we have enough.

This, is our first home. We’ve been looking for the perfect one since 2010. Gave up for a little while and finally found it when the time was right

There are some spaces that need filling, but it will come. The means to have all that we desire will come. I often plan in my mind what kinds of painting and pictures we will have strewn across the walls of our house; or the kind of sofa we’ll have in our living room, along with shelves, mirrors, rugs and accent pillows too! I often wonder if we will ever hang the painting of Jesus and His disciples, or find a more visually appealing location for our television. But for now, everything is where it needs to be. Over time we will begin to see the empty spaces filling up and the decoration desires of our heart will be met.

This observation about our home helps me to put things into perspective. Since I moved in, I’ve been thinking of all the things we can do with the living room: once we get rid of the recliners, olive green curtain panels, and pink lampstand. Maybe a neutral colored sofa, with pops of red or yellow... paint that lamp post some metallic color... get a pretty area rug... And not to mention finding some way to build these awesome honeycomb shelves I’ve seen floating around the internet.

I’ve been focused on what I hope to acquire (what I want) and not on what I have now. This is my biggest flaw. I often say here that I am learning or have learned lessons from certain situations in my life and this is no different. I grew up living with excess of all things materialistic. The empty spaces in our home were filled with more shoes. more clothes. more handbags. More. More. More. My mother supported me financially every week right up until my final year of graduate school. If I had a job, it was because I wanted more and not because I was required to have one. I had not yet learned what it was like to be in want. I honestly believe that this is the lesson I am currently being schooled in. Instead of filling up the empty spaces with more things, I needed to fill it up with more of God.

This past year, I have found myself doing just that. I purchased my first study Bible in July 2012 and that has been the best purchase I have ever made in life… way better than 100 pretty dresses. I spent more time in prayer, reading the Bible and understanding the words written on the pages. Doing this has brought so many blessings-- more than money can buy. It has given me more faith, joy, peace, comfort and contentment… And even more so, eternal life through Christ. This is what my spiritual empty space is being filled with.

As for our home, that is another lesson in and of itself. I am learning to be content with what we have now. When our increase comes and we have all that we want, we can look back and see where we've come from and appreciate it even more.

"Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth."
~Colossians 3:2~

"...while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal.
~2 Corinthians 4:18~


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments/Questions are always welcomed and appreciated.
Thank you for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...