August 20, 2013

Lately

Lately, I have been:

SAM_0816_1

Keeping Busy. In the past few weeks, I have been trying to remain busy. I started volunteering with an Inner-city program that teaches kids the Bible through theater arts. It has been pretty good so far. The couple that runs the organization are very sweet. The kids are also equally sweet and funny. I also volunteered at a nursing home where we played BINGO and helped transport the residents to various activities.  All of these opportunities have been lovely and refreshing. I volunteer with four younger girls from my church. We are all apart of a group called Daughters of Destiny. I was recruited to this group not of my own will, but of the interest of the person who birthed the group. I was a bit apprehensive to be a part of this group initially because I felt like I just didn't belong. Firstly, because the other 4 girls are younger than me. Second, the group was established rather recently and it just seemed a bit all over the place and I prefer organization over frenzy. Lastly, I just felt as though I didn't belong. Although the girls are younger than me, they have all been on fire for God all while I feel as though I am in the most secluded waiting place... I am at a crossroads of sorts in discovering the plan God has for my life. But lately, I have received a sort of confirmation that I belong in this group. There is something about the sisterhood that is there. I am the youngest of 3 (2 other sisters) and so I feel as though I get to be a big sister to these girls. They have also blessed me with their lives. Need prayer? They are there to embrace you and pray with such power. I was at my weakest point when I joined the group and they have given me so much strength just through their passion for Christ alone. It is extremely uplifting. 

Trying a new recipe. I am not big on burgers, but I have been dying to try salmon burgers for some time now. I finally tried it and was in love. I used fresh salmon fillets, cubed it, mushed it up a bit, added a ton of seasonings, spices, and dill-- cooked it up and served it with sweet potato fries. It was so delicious! And beau loved it too. I guess you can say that was my first ever Pinterest recipe.

Featured on a blog. This little bloggie of mine has a very small following. Actually, I wouldn't say it has a following at all because based on blog statistics, the majority of the views are from random google searches. However, 2 weeks ago, I got a scare of a lifetime when my blog views more than decupled in one day's time. I thought, oh my goodness. I'm on one of those awful blogger trash-talking sites. I soon realized that I was featured on a blog that I submitted an entry to. I've mentioned only a few times on this blog that I am trying to grow my hair long and healthy again. I have finally been able to do so and decided to share  "My Hair Story" on Just Grow Already, and that is where all the blog hits came from. I am glad I figured it out because it was truly quite a scare. I know that with blogging, you literally place yourself in the public eye especially when you share more than just  pretty photos and generic words. But, I like sharing a little bit more because I know that there is someone out there who can relate and who may find comfort in knowing that they are not the only one facing trials AND that they will make it through. People are emotional beings. We thrive on relationship and being able to relate. I will continue to share those kinds of private-ish posts publicly, but I am only okay sharing it with just a handful of people... 400+ readers? not so much.

SAM_0808 

Working through life. I discovered an amazing artist (Laura Story) recently when I stumbled upon her song, Blessings (click to listen). The lyrics of this song were so profound and hit me so hard. It spoke to my current situation and really made me think: what if? The lyrics read:

What if my greatest disappointments
Or the aching of this life
Is the revealing of a greater thirst
This world can't satisfy?
And what if trials of this life
The rain, the storms, the hardest nights
Are Your mercies in disguise?

The artist shared the story behind this song here, and what stood out to me the most was that after all that she had gone through, she decided to ask herself "whether we are going to choose to interpret our circumstances based on what we hold to be true about God, or whether we're going to judge what we hold to be true about God based on our circumstances (reference James 1:2-3)".... Such a profound statement/question that has completely changed my perspective on some things in my life.

What have you been up to lately? 




1 comment:

  1. Looks like things are brightening up for you! That recipe sounds delish.

    ReplyDelete

Comments/Questions are always welcomed and appreciated.
Thank you for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...