December 16, 2013

The Future From a Wider Perspective


What we see depends on what we look for

"I urge all young scientists to keep their minds open to alternative careers. Having "tunnel vision" will only stifle your creativity and maneuverability in science." 

There is something special about time. It is ever constant. Measurable, though it can neither be contained nor restrained. Time reveals much. It lends a certain wisdom. You know, the kind that comes with time. It is a beautiful thing, that time. Beautiful because it has taught me so much over its course: How to be patient. How to suffer long. How to wait. How to be...

I am the first to say that I absolutely suck at keeping up with time. I wait until the very last minute to get ready to leave for an event and I always arrive just in time to be considered right on time. The lessons learned here is that time waits on no one. It has taught me to manage it better, to allow for peace of mind and good standing among fellow peers.

More recently, however, time has taught me something else: how as mutable beings, we are subject to change, especially where our hearts and passions are concerned. With time, I've learned that what I have come to love and pursue as a lifelong career is no longer my sole interest. When asked what I planned on doing with a degree in Biomedical Science, I answered swiftly and confidently: "Cancer/Laboratory Research!" Afterall, I fell in love with the thing 2 years into college and it was all I could think about. However, after a year plus of career searching, job descriptions involving cellular & molecular techniques no longer interest me. The education I have in biomedical science is so broad. It qualifies me for positions in a wide range of scientific fields. I am currently pursuing numerous science related positions in the areas of Science Administration and Clinical sciences. With a position in either of these fields, I will be able to perform a wide range of tasks on any given work day. But what I love most is the opportunity to interact with various people in different career levels so that I may be able to draw from others and build myself up in the process.

I have truly watched myself blossom over the last few years. I've gone from the girl who barely spoke above a whisper, to the young woman who can boldly speak her mind. Interacting with people used to scare me terribly. And though my hands still shake when meeting new people, I warm up more quickly to others now than I ever thought I could. It actually brings me great joy to interact with people from all walks of life. My current part time job as a bank teller allows me such an opportunity on a daily basis. Who would've thought that this would be me?! Again, I have to say that we never know where certain paths in our lives will lead us, but everything certainly happens for a reason and I believe that my current part time position is building me up to be great in something greater.

Don't get me wrong, I still love working with my hands. I still love research. But I have learned that I also love people and interacting with others outside of the box I have placed myself in for so many years.

As that quote at the beginning of this post suggests, I have taken my blinders off. I am keeping my mind open to alternate careers. And if not, prayerfully it will be in something that will continue to widen my perspective on things in life.

*** image via

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments/Questions are always welcomed and appreciated.
Thank you for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...