June 26, 2013

On Having Kids

photo via

In spite of what I wrote in this post a while back, I still get a tiny bit of baby fever. Growing up, I've always loved children. So much so that I wanted to be a pediatrician. then a pediatric brain surgeon... then a pediatric cancer surgeon... I just wanted to work with kids and be able to care for them. I babysat throughout college and fell in love with the kids and their families. In undergrad, there were 2 boys, German-American. The sweetest blonde-hair, blue-eyed kids you'd ever meet. They tried to teach me German -- I failed at it. In grad school, I worked with a family with boy/girl twins. They were also very sweet.

Although I loved children, I don't think I ever saw myself as a mama. I guess I was just never in that mindset. Since getting married, I've been thinking about it more and more... and I'm excited (and nervous) to say the least.

This week, our church is holding Vacation Bible School (VBS). Beau and I have been transporting some kids (2 boys and 2 girls) to and from church and we enjoy their company. They range in age from 7 to 14 and all have different personalities. One wants Beau to cut his beard and shave his head. The other wants him to grow his beard long like Rapunzel (as if Rapunzel had a beard). One is super quiet and reminds me of my younger self. And the other is apparently the ladies' man.  They had us cracking up the past couple days. And when they left the car to go home, Beau said to me "I wonder what our kids will be like?" Suddenly, my heart smiled at the prospect of raising funny kids and loving them wholeheartedly.

I'm looking forward to that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments/Questions are always welcomed and appreciated.
Thank you for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...