April 4, 2013

Conquering the Butternut Squash


Confession:   I have never prepared butternut squash before. 

So when beau expressed his desire for butternut squash with some kind of stew to accompany it, I thought 'Okay. I can do this.'

That major bout of confidence was shut down when I tried preparing it last week. First, I had a really hard time cutting it in half...  I mean, a really. hard. time. I guess we can chalk that up to my weak upper arm strength. When I finally cut it in half, seasoned it, and baked it per instructions I found on cooking websites, the squash was no where near cooked (baked at 400° for 45 minutes).  I baked it for an additional 30 minutes and that seemed to have been enough. But at dinner, we discovered that there were bits of it still very much crunchy and texturized. I classified that night's dinner as a failure.


This week, I tackled the other half of that butternut squash with more confidence than the first. I seasoned it just about the same (except I used cinnamon sugar instead of brown sugar), I covered it with foil this time to allow the steam to cook the squash all the way through, and I baked it for 1.5 hours. I then scooped it out to make a mashed butternut squash-thing...Success!

// I also punctured the mess out of that squash to allow the steam to penetrate properly.  


Do any of you know another way to prepare butternut squash?
I'm thinking of using it in a soup next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments/Questions are always welcomed and appreciated.
Thank you for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...