August 29, 2011

Me, Myself and Irene

I knew the storm would hit my the Philly area by late Saturday afternoon, which meant that it wouldn't reach Connecticut until Saturday evening, into Sunday at midnight. I had the choice between staying at home until Monday to wait out the storm, or gunnin' it to Connecticut early Saturday morning.... I decided on the latter. I left Philadelphia around 8 am and arrived on campus at 11:30 am. It was cloudy, but not much more in terms of precipitation. The rain began around 6 pm. At that time, my new house mate decided to pack up and 'peace out', leaving me in a huge rancher by myself.

It was okay at first, I could hear the rain pounding on the sun roof. That was comforting enough to put me to sleep, especially since I had only slept for 3 hours the night before. I woke up around 2 pm  to the sound of the rain pounding on the sun roof, and the constant hounding of the wind. I called the beau, talked for a while then went back to sleep.

I woke up again around 8:30 am, Sunday morning, and read a text from one of my classmates that said "I already lost power". I didn't think much of it, but then I looked over to the closet (where I kept the light on over night) and realized that the light was no longer on.


The rain continued until 2pm, and then everything began drying up. Not much damage was done, except the leaky sunroof that left a small puddle in my bedroom and the living room, a somewhat flooded basement, and tree limbs, leaves and twigs scattered about the streets.


I even saw a few wild turkeys come out of hiding. It started with just 2 of them. They ran down the street making loud war cries. With that call, the two became three. Three became five, and five then became about nine or ten. The turkeys were on a wild goose chase trying to find each other. I was in the car trying to decided where to drive to while they scurried pass me. The birds were so large and swift in movement,  that I decided to just stay in the car and take pictures from afar.


The power is STILL out. It's been about 29 hours now. Who knows how long it will take to have it up and running again. Good times....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments/Questions are always welcomed and appreciated.
Thank you for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...