February 1, 2011

Question 2

Is this what I want to be doing? [Source]

I ask myself this question quite often. Although my daily life mainly consists of grad school, I often wonder about the path that I chose. I guess the answer to this current question is... yes. At the moment, I don't see myself anywhere else. Sure, I wish certain things in my life were different. We all do in some manner or another... but I like where I am.

Graduate school is where I want to be. I can remember when I decided that this is what I wanted to do and not medical, nursing, or PA school as my mom and my educational advisers have suggested. I am not much of a people person. I can be, when I have grown used to someone, but that takes time. Constantly meeting new people in a healthcare setting would immediately give me anxiety. Besides, I absolutely like research, and even if I don't end up doing research right away after I complete this program, any position in a laboratory would suffice. I just LOVE the thrill of discovering things, and learning more about a certain subject.

That may be why I am such a Googler. Just give me a few key words about a certain subject/object and I will get results, no matter how small. I remember seeing a really cute top someone was wearing in a photograph, and I instantly hopped on Google, and began searching specific key phrases (mainly the bold features of the top). After a few word combinations, I was able to not only find an image of that specific tank top, but I was also able to find where it was sold and the retail price!!....

Now, if I can do that with Google only, how much more can I do with cells, proteins, DNA, or antibodies-- especially since there is so much research and information out there regarding each of them? Since I was a child, I knew I wanted to work in the healthcare industry to help better the lives of everyday people, just like my mother does as a nurse. That dream has not diminished, it has only been adjusted slightly. I doubt that I will be able to find a cure to cancer or any other deadly disease, because God is in control of the knowledge humans gain on Earth. I do, however, believe that I can make a difference in the future of medicine via vaccines or drug development, and that is EXACTLY what I want to do!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments/Questions are always welcomed and appreciated.
Thank you for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...